Covid-19 has had a serious impact on our country and city, but the damage to our lives, welfare, and businesses can be mitigated with appropriate action.
As the at-large member of the Public Safety Committee for 2F I have co-authored a resolution to protect my neighbors from eviction during a global pandemic. In our September meeting we passed a resolution to ban eviction through hypothermia season (Nov.1-March 31) and three months following. We also addressed the needs of our unhoused neighbors as we enter the winter months by calling on the DC Council to fully fund The Way Home Campaign.
We must push the council to offer more monetary support for all businesses, and create more creative solutions to aid businesses as they attempt to reopen with limited capacity. While the council has offered a grant to winterize businesses with outdoor space, it leaves so many of our businesses at risk of closure.
I am here to listen to the community and our businesses, I will advocate for the financial and material support you need. Book time to speak with me at calendly.com/alex4anc.
We must remain diligent and continue to take the appropriate steps to keep ourselves safe. If you need a mask, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many of our neighbors are experiencing income loss, and this has pushed families into painful choices between food and rent. I currently sit on the fundraising board for Ward 2 Mutual Aid, and we are here to help!
Stay Updated: https://coronavirus.dc.gov/data
Need a Covid-19 Test? Find a testing site here: https://coronavirus.dc.gov/testing
Know how it spreads
Wash your hands often
Avoid close contact
Cover your mouth and nose with a mask when around others
Cover coughs and sneezes
Clean and disinfect
Monitor Your Health Daily
“When the moratorium on evictions ends, we could be experiencing historic numbers of evictions and increasing in folks experiencing homelessness.” —Stephanie Sneed, Executive Director of the Fair Budget Coalition
Only about 90,000 units in DC qualify as Rent Controlled. DC has long been in an affordable housing crisis, one that has pushed many senior, minority, and lifelong residents from our city. Our current rent control law restricts rent being raised by more than 2% above inflation for any building before 1975, but the Rental Housing Act of 1985 left many loopholes that leave renters vulnerable. Ward 2 is made up of 65% renters, and has already become unaffordable for so many. I wish to implement the Reclaim Rent Control Platform.
We must expand our rent control to cover more residents, close loopholes, and rewrite the petitions processes most open to abuse; capital improvement, substantial rehabilitation, increased services or facilities, and voluntary agreements. We must also take steps to stop the continuous loss of current affordable housing stock, which has dwindled due to our rapid gentrification and the involvement of developers in funding council races. While I support the Mayor’s ambitious plan to create 36,000 new housing units by 2025, we need more deeply affordable housing stock produced.
Our city must be equitable, and that begins with who can afford to live here. If you wish to join me in protecting affordable housing in 2F08 book time to speak with me at calendly.com/alex4anc.
I have sat on the ANC 2F committee for Public Safety for almost two years. During that time I have passed resolutions that protects us all. Public Safety is not just policing, but addressing the wholistic needs that truly keep people safe, such as housing, medical and mental health treatment, ending homelessness, and promoting violence interruption and de-escalation.
Of the 10 million+ arrests made every year in the US less than 5% of them are for high level offenses, including murder, rape, and aggravated assault. The other 95 percent of arrests are for things like traffic violations, marijuana possession, unlawful assembly, and crimes of poverty. The ACLU of Washington DC has uncovered disturbing patterns in our stop and frisk data.
" ACLU of the District of Columbia analysis of the most recent stop-and-frisk data collected by the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) has revealed that Black people compose 72% of those stopped in the District despite making up 46% of the D.C. population. The report analyzed MPD data collected between July 22, 2019 and December 31, 2019, yielding data on over 62,000 stops, or approximately one stop every four minutes during the five-month period.
The report found that:
Despite the large number of stops, the mayor’s own report noted that violent crimes increased 4% over the five-month period. " -ACLU of Washington DC
I stand firm in my statistically backed belief that resources are the best path forward for public safety.